“Because each day we wait to begin the work of turning our economy around, more people lose their jobs, their savings and their homes. And if nothing is done, this recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse.”
-President Barack Obama
President Barack Obama says the latest jobless numbers demand action and it’s “inexcusable and irresponsible” for Congress to delay on his economic recovery package.
Here is a list from the transcript of Glenn Beck’s show on some of the things that America must pass immediately or we may never recover:
- We’re never going to recover if we don’t get the $50 million for the National Endowment For the Arts
- We may never recover if we don’t get $380 million in the Senate bill for the Women, Infants and Children’s program
- We may never recover if we don’t get $300 million for grants to combat violence against women
- We may never recover if we don’t have $6 billion for university building projects
- We may never recover if we don’t have $1.2 billion to provide youth summer jobs, and this bill defines “Youth” to people up to the age of 24. You’ll be paying for those.
- We will never recover if we don’t have $2.4 billion for neighborhood stabilization activities.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $650 million for digital TV coupons.
- We may never recover if we don’t get $150 million for the Smithsonian.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $34 million to renovate the Department of Commerce headquarters.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $500 million for the improvement projects for the national institute of health facilities.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $44 million for repairs to the Department of Agriculture headquarters or
- $350 million for agriculture department computers.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $88 million to help move the Public Health Service into a new building, not for a new building. To help them move to a new building. We may never survive if we don’t have that $88 million for a moving truck!
- We may never survive if we don’t have the money to convert federal auto fleets to hybrids.
- This country may never recover if we don’t have a billion dollars for the census bureau.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $89 billion for Medicaid
- $30 billion for COBRA extensions
- $36 billion for expanded unemployment
- $20 billion for more food stamps.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $850 million for Amtrak, a train that hasn’t turned a profit in 50 years.
- America as we know it may never recover if we don’t have $87 million for a polar ice breaking ship, never recover.
- We may never recover if we don’t have $1.7 million for the national park system
- $55 million for the historic preservation fund.
- We may not survive if we don’t have $7.6 million for the rural advancement program
- $150 million for the agriculture commodity purposes
- $150 million for producers of livestock, farm-raised fish and honeybees.
- We may never recover unless we have $160 million for paid volunteers at the Corporation for National and Community Service
- If we don’t act now and pass $2 billion for renewable energy research or
- $2 billion for clean coal power plants in Illinois or
- $6.2 billion for a weatherization assistance program which basically is weatherstrips for underneath your door! We may never survive
- If we don’t have $3.5 billion for energy efficiency and conservation block grants or
- $3.4 billion for the state energy program or
- $200 million for state and local electric transport projects or
- $300 million for the energy-efficient appliance rebate program or
- $400 million for hybrid cars for state and local governments or
- $1 billion for the manufacturing of advanced batteries or
- $1.5 billion for green technology, loan guarantees or
- $8 billion for innovative loan guarantee program or
- $2.4 billion for carbon capture demonstration projects or
- $4.5 billion for the electricity grid or
- $79 billion for the state fiscal stabilization fund.
We may never recover if we don’t do these things right now.
Read the Full Transcript.
Total Stimulus breakdown here.